Archive for the ‘Linux Fun’ Category
Committed *initial* python eplugin loader for Evolution. Please feel free to fix it🙂 .
Bindings yet to be done (without which it is not useful) . I’m looking (doing some initial work) at pygtk-codegen for generating the required bindings.
Would be happy get a extra hand here🙂
OpenChange has released libmapi 0.7. So now Evolution MAPI provider  development will be increasing in pace🙂. libmapi PHASER 0.7 is pinned on Samba4 GIT 41309dc (pre alpha 3). This will be the base for the provider code. New builds  are available in openSUSE Builds Service.
** I Need help with debian builds in openSUSE build service. Please ping me if u can help🙂 TIA **
On Saturday, I was in NIE, Mysore to give a talk on ‘Open Source & Careers’. The event was organized by “OBSCURA Open Source Club“. The purpose of the talk was to let students know that there are good career options in FOSS.
All I tried to do was project some statistics to show that they can pursue their contributions in FOSS as their career. As usual, they had doubts on FOSS business model and lots of questions on “How to get started?”. Thanks to Sankar (Our SUSE Goodies guy !😉 ), I gave out DVDs of openSUSE 10.3.
I enjoyed the day. First thing I noticed in Mysore was very less traffic and wide roads ! 🙂 . Went to my favourite restaurent in mysore, “Gufha” for lunch. Thanks to Bipin, was with me the whole day ( Geeky chats ! ). And i learnt little about night photography !
Almost over a month back we started writing a MAPI based provider in Evolution for MS Exchange connectivity. libmapi from OpenChange.org which provides APIs for native MAPI calls, is the base library for this provider. Currently we are using libmapi 0.6.
Advantage of this provider among others are
- works with MS Exchange 2007 servers. (this is the main motivation behind this work )
- has compatibility with older exchange servers (*this is not tested yet!*)
- Simple implementation in EDS/Camel. (No exchange-storage process to manage. This will be similar to Groupwise provider architecture.)
Most of the common code (servers/mapi) is almost completed. And we have started working on the backends for all the components. All the components have some basic working code which will evolve into a solid provider. Currently ,
- Calendars can fetch and display appointment/meetings.
- Contacts can fetch/display/modify/create items.
- Mailer currently has some hacky code running which can fetch folder list / mails. More work to be done in handling cache.
MAPI Provider is planned to be merged into trunk by end of March. There are some challenges :
- libmapi depends on some samba4 libraries (ndr, ldb, talloc, samba-config, dcerpc, dcerpc_samr and some more) which are under heavy development.
- libmapi itself is under heavy development. libmapi 0.7 (PHASER) is scheduled to be released soon.
Currently all work is going on in these branches :
Meanwhile we are planning to do incremental releases of this provider as a plugin RPM (RPMs for the distributions supported by OBS) using OpenSuSE Build Service. I have a placeholder for this in my Build Service Repo.
Lot of learning / Fun wrt to Camel for me ! Yipee !